Sunday, February 20, 2011

Who built the Reading Room?

Following the award of an Arts Council grant and subsequent  creation of The Dictionary of Scottish Architects 1840 - 1980 we now know more about the company that built the Reading Room.










The building was constructed by Speirs & Co., designers and erectors of iron & wood buildings. Based in Glasgow they ceased trading in the late 1930's having provided  partly prefabricated timber framed buildings, some clad in corrugated iron, notably for the Episcopal Church for around 50 years.

For more information visit a page about Speirs & Co. created by the Scottish Architects Association.