Saturday, January 29, 2011

Not 'the' Reading Room but 'a' Reading Room

Thanks to Geoff Legallez for providing this intriguing piece of information.

The construction of the Reading Room for the village of Appleton le Moors was funded by Joseph Page in 1911. Most people involved with the Reading Room assumed it was a gift to enrich the lives of a community where he had lived and worked. The 1881 census shows that Joseph Page was the resident butler at Appleton Hall.

Geoff uncovered the following on the deeds for McDougall's House.
In 1888 Matthew Milestone bought the land where McDougall's House now stands, from the estate of William Fredrick Shepard, for the sum of £110.  On the plot were three dwellings, one of which was in use as a Reading Room.

Matthew Milestone then sold the plot to Joseph Page for the sum of £120 and in 1891 the existing building was completed.
The sale documents when Bought by the McDougall sisters show:
The house stayed in the hand of the Page family until Martin Harvey Page sold to the McDougall sisters in 1924,  who then lived in Blackheath, London.
 It would be interesting to know where the Reading Room was housed between 1888 and 1911.